Re: PATCH: Turn mips relaxation if appropriate (Re: MIPS gas relaxation still doesn't work)

On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 03:21:54PM +0100, Richard Sandiford wrote:
> "H. J. Lu" <hjl@lucon.org> writes:
> > 2002-10-13  H.J. Lu <hjl@gnu.org>
> >
> > 	* gas/config/tc-mips.c (mips_relax_branch): Initialized to -1.
> > 	(mips_after_parse_args): Set to 0 for EMBEDDED_PIC, otherwise
> > 	2.
> > 	(md_convert_frag): Warn branch relaxation if it is turned on
> > 	from command line.
>
> I don't understand the reasoning here.  Surely it's more important
> to get the warning if you haven't explicitly asked for branch
> relaxation?

Since no other assemblers warn for relaxation by default, the mips GNU
assembler shouldn't be different. That means branch relaxation is just
like another form of macro. However, if gcc wishes to check its own
bug, it can pass --relax to gas. But it is not required to get branch
relaxation.

Also, I have a problem with --relax-branch/--no-relax-branch. There is
no mention of them with "as --help". Also gas already has a generic
option:

  --relax                     Relax branches on certain targets

Why does mips invent a new option?

H.J.