Re: ld -lgen -ladm causes assert failure in gnu ld 2.12.1 and 2.13 under Solaris 2.7 or 2.8

It looks like the -znocombreloc fix isn't good enough.
Here's a summary of what I tried.  I started with binutils 2.12.1,
gcc 3.2, and python 2.1.1

1) Install binutils 2.13.

2) Rebuild python.  The build fails.

3) Change the python build procedure to say -Wl,-znocombreloc
   where it says -fPIC.  Python now builds and seems to work.

4) Rebuild gcc 3.2 from scratch.  The python executable now
   crashes -- which means that rebuilding gcc 3.2 changed something
   that python dynamically loads.  I am guessing that it builds a
   library somwhere with -zcombreloc, which then causes the dynamic
   loader to fail when the python executable tries to use it.

5) Rebuild python with -Wl,-znocombreloc.  The build fails,
   not too surprisingly.

6) Reinstall binutils 2.12.1.  The little test program I sent you
   earlier *still fails*, even with -znocombreloc.

So apparently building gcc 3.2 with binutils 2.13 does something
that renders the -znocombreloc workaround ineffective, at least
for the purpose of building python.

I think we need a more effective fix to the problem -- either finding
out why -zcombreloc doesn't work under Solaris 2.8 or disabling it.