Re: Get rid of underscore.c

On Fri, Sep 20, 2002 at 08:57:52AM +0100, Jason Merrill wrote:
> On 12 Sep 2002 19:42:36 +0100, Nick Clifton <nickc@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > But why should G++ have its own demangler ?  Why not use the binutils one
> > ?  (Possible answer: because the G++ guys want to control the demangler ?)
>
> Precisely.  The demangler frequently needs to change to reflect changes in
> the compiler.  If the demangler is part of the compiler package, updating
> one involves updating the other.  If it's in binutils, that means I need to
> update binutils to deal with a compiler issue, something I currently only
> do every few months.  My life was made easier when c++filt moved to gcc.

How about this? Move cxxfilt.c to libiberty, but never compile it in
libiberty. Buy default, binutils will compile cxxfilt in its binutils
directory. In gcc, we add --enable-cxxfilt/--with-cxxfilt, which is
off by default, to enable cxxfilt in gcc. G++ developers can configure
gcc with --enable-cxxfilt/--with-cxxfilt. Everyone should be happy.

H.J.