Re: mips branches broken between 2002-09-05 and 2002-09-06

On 10 Sep 2002 cgd@broadcom.com wrote:

> However, a question (for H.J. too):
>
> So, when actually overriding the symbols being called via _branches_,
> what result is expected other than "relocation overflow" or similar
> for most of the relocations to symbols other than the one originally
> used?  (or even that one, if it's not in the same file?)
>
> (I don't think that's a problem.  In code where symbols can be
> overridden, it's not smart, offset-wise, to use mips branch
> instructions...  and it's better to get an error than to happily,
> silentely invoke the non-overridden symbol.)

 Hmm, AFAIK there is no relocation defined for branches in the MIPS SYSV
ABI, so there is nothing to override when doing dynamic linking.  There is
a relocation used by binutils internally (BFD_RELOC_16_PCREL_S2) and
embedded targets seem to use a GNU-specific reloc (R_MIPS_GNU_REL16_S2) to
express it externally, but that's irrelevant.