This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: PATCH: Update E_MIP_ARCH_XXX (Re: [patch] linux: RFC:elf_check_arch() rework)
- From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro at ds2 dot pg dot gda dot pl>
- To: Dan Temple <dant at mips dot com>
- Cc: Carsten Langgaard <carstenl at mips dot com>, cgd at broadcom dot com, hjl at lucon dot org, linux-mips at oss dot sgi dot com, binutils at sources dot redhat dot com
- Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 17:07:16 +0200 (MET DST)
- Subject: Re: PATCH: Update E_MIP_ARCH_XXX (Re: [patch] linux: RFC:elf_check_arch() rework)
- Organization: Technical University of Gdansk
- Reply-to: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro at ds2 dot pg dot gda dot pl>
On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, Dan Temple wrote:
> I've now heard a bit of the history from Nigel at Algorithmics, and to
> summarize, they chose the 6 and 7 values for MIPS32/64 after Cygnus, who
> were also producing a MIPS32/64 toolchain, had chosen these. (Algor had
> originally used the value of 5 for MIPS32, but had to changed when both
> SGI (who assigned it to something else) and Cygnus chose otherwise).
> Hence ARCH_ALGOR_32.
> A little research also reveals that the value of 5 for ARCH_32 was first
> checked into CVS in Dec 2000 by Nick Clifton at Redhat.
Hmm, the relevant ChangeLog entry is:
2000-10-16 Chris Demetriou <firstname.lastname@example.org>
* mips.h (E_MIPS_ARCH_32): New constant.
(E_MIPS_MACH_MIPS32, E_MIPS_MACH_MIPS32_4K): Replace the
former with the latter.
* mips.h (E_MIPS_ARCH_5, E_MIPS_ARCH_64): New definitions.
* mips.h (E_MIPS_MACH_SB1): New constant.
Patches went in with two commits on Dec 1st and 2nd, 2000:
+ Maciej W. Rozycki, Technical University of Gdansk, Poland +
+ e-mail: email@example.com, PGP key available +