Porting binutils to another OS?

Lets say that I want to create a new OS, and want to use the GNU assembler
and linker on it. What do I need to do to port binutils to it? This
hypothetical OS would run on i386 and M68k platforms, and use ELF as its
object/executable format.

Does there exist any documentation, or do anyone have any hints about how I
should do it?

/ Joachim
Joachim Pileborg                        EMail: joachim.pileborg@fmt.se
Software Engineer                       FMT AB  (http://www.fmt.se/)