Apparent problem with Alpha-linux linker

Hi...

I've been getting segfaults when exiting binaries dynamically linked to
the new Qt 2.2 release (and many prior releases as well).  Upon checking
TrollTech's site, they note that there is a problem with the linker on
Alpha-Linux, but conveniently omits any details.

Upon further investigation, it seems that the binaries are exhibiting the
behaviour noted in gcc's docs for the -fconserve-space option.  In other
words, it seems that either the global vars or some of the function
definitions are being merged at link time without proper duplicate
diagnosis.

I caught a few threads on this list that hinted that other targets had a
similar problem and was wondering if a similar solution could be worked
for the Alpha-Linux linker.

I apologise for the lack of a simpler testcase other than the huge Qt
shared lib, but I haven't had the time to properly look into this problem
up to now.  I can provide whatever info is needed from the lib, though,
since I keep a copy of it handy and can recompile it easily and quickly.
I've also tried a number of options to directly link the library
(including --warn-common, which dumped out a huge list of things that were
being combined that were really unique in the source).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!