This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: gas 2.10.91 from 20000920 cvs is broken under hpux 10.20
- To: law at cygnus dot com
- Subject: Re: gas 2.10.91 from 20000920 cvs is broken under hpux 10.20
- From: "John David Anglin" <dave at hiauly1 dot hia dot nrc dot ca>
- Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 12:51:41 -0400 (EDT)
- Cc: alan at linuxcare dot com dot au, binutils at sourceware dot cygnus dot com, dhd at linuxcare dot com
> > You probably know more about the HP linker than I do. I imagine that
> > removing an addil between a branch and its target is a fairly common
> > occurrence, so the HP linker should adjust the branch offset.
> Yup -- it has to go back and fix all the pc-relative branches. It also has
> to change the instruction which used the result of the addil to reference
> %r27 instead of %r1.
I raised this point because I thought it might be a mistake for the assembler
not to make all branches with R_PCREL_CALL. At the present time, short
branches appear to be built directly by the assembler and don't have any
relocation data. To find these, the linker would have to scan the actual
code around an addil that was being removed.
J. David Anglin email@example.com
National Research Council of Canada (613) 990-0752 (FAX: 952-6605)