This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: An article about the Cygnus tree
- To: msokolov at ivan dot Harhan dot ORG (Michael Sokolov)
- Subject: Re: An article about the Cygnus tree
- From: David Edelsohn <dje at watson dot ibm dot com>
- Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 21:02:57 -0400
- cc: binutils at sources dot redhat dot com, crossgcc at sources dot redhat dot com, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org, gdb at sources dot redhat dot com
I do not understand why you incorrectly insist on using such
hostile and confrontational language in your description of EGCS. EGCS
was a testbed for some new technology which needed a larger testing
audience than the GCC development environment of the time could provide.
Both the technology and the development method used by EGCS proved
effective, so EGCS and GCC merged back together, incorporating all of the
successes of EGCS. This is not unlike the way gcc-2 was developed and
redesigned in the late 1980's and early 1990's.