Re: Changes to gas/write.c and others break the ia32 assembler

On Aug 23, 2000, "H . J . Lu" <hjl@lucon.org> wrote:

> Can you tell me why you need 2 TC_FIX_ADJUSTABLE?

I don't.  Sorry, I must have goofed when merging a patch that went in
before mine :-(

>> > 	* config/tc-i386.h (TC_FIX_ADJUSTABLE): Restore it to the
>> > 	original behavior.

> As I said, please restore the original behavior.

Go ahead and make it 0, if you will.  But I still think it would be
papering over a problem elsewhere.  If the problem is on COFF only,
let's make it 0 for COFF only.

>> #if !defined (TC_I386) || !(defined (OBJ_ELF) || defined (OBJ_COFF)) || defined (TE_PE)

>> so I indeed goofed in TE_PE (I missed the closing paren).  But
>> OBJ_MAYBE_ELF was not there for sure.

> As I said, OBJ_MAYBE_ELF is needed for multi-format assembler.

How did it work without it, in write.c?

> You may also need to check OBJ_MAYBE_COFF. Alan has warned the
> danger of touching relocation code in assembler. He knows what he
> was talking about.

So do I.  I know it's tricky.  I'd just rather fix the problem rather
than hide it until the next person decides to clean things up and
stumbles across the same maze of twisting passages all alike :-)