Re: problem with installing binutils

Franz Sirl wrote:
> See the thread starting at
>   http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2000-06/msg00208.html
>
> Bruce, do you now finally believe that your patch breaks things and doesn't
> fix anything? Please revert your wrong patch! Actually the config maintainer
> should revert it ASAP, so we can synchronize binutils/gcc/etc again.
>
> Your patch breaks major GNU applications working fine for years, just to help
> broken installations with a missing gcc->cc symlink.

If the symlink were sufficient, I would agree.

I think it is broken that the nieve should face a silent failure
from config.guess leaving the hapless to wonder what to do.
(Those were the shoes I was in several years ago.  I hate it.)

There is an issue between you and others over whether the
library version or other information should be added to the
end of the configuration triplet.  I.e. should it be part of
config.guess or a configure test?  Don't ask me to answer that.
It is a religious issue and I don't care about it at all.
It is for the true believers to argue over.  I merely state
that it is wrong to trip up the hapless.  If you have a better
fix, then propose it.  :-)

By the way, I do not have write access to the relevant archive.

Cheers,
	Bruce