Re: A patch for configure

On Thu, May 18, 2000 at 03:15:34PM -0700, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>    Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 09:26:42 -0700
>    From: "H . J . Lu" <hjl@valinux.com>
>
>    I'd like to install this patch. Without it, cross compiling may
>    fail due to the way gcc uses to find binutils.
>
>    20000-05-18  H.J. Lu  (hjl@gnu.org)
>
> 	   * configure: Ask to create the gcc directory for cross
> 	   compiling if necessary.
>
> This patch makes no sense to me.  As far as I can tell, your patch
> will prevent me from configuring a cross-toolchain unless I first
> install gcc.  I often build cross-toolchains and simply run them from
> the build directory without ever installing them.  Your patch would
> prevent me from even configuring such a toolchain.  What's the point
> of that?

It checks

[ x${gcc_version} != x -a ! -d ${prefix}/lib/gcc-lib/${target_alias}/${gcc_version} ]

If you don't have the gcc source in your souce tree directory, it
shouldn't do anything. If it does, it is a bug. If you can show me
how to reproduce it, I will fix it.

> What problem are you trying to solve?  I can only guess that you are
> trying to solve the problem of an uninstalled gcc trying to find an
> installed binutils.  That problem relates to gcc, not to the
> binutils.  Why are you trying to fix it in the binutils?

Because they may share the same configure.

H.J.