Re: gas obj-multi experiences? (and small gas/Makefile.am patch)

Hi Hans-Peter,

: Over to the real issue:
: I'd like to make it simple to generate both a.out and ELF from
: the same compiler-tools installation, using command-line options.
:
: I believe having a single gas would simplify this greatly.  I
: didn't think it was possible, but it looks like I can actually
: make a single gas executable target both ELF and a.out (i386 and
: mips currently), but there's not a peep about it in
: internals.texi.  Perhaps it's work in progress or I've
: misunderstood something.
:
: Does anyone have any experience with trying this?
: Alan? (Modra, the last person touching this, the ChangeLog tells.)
:
: Any comments beside "foo" :-) ?  (from obj-multi.c)
: Will it hurt, or just sting a little bit?
: Is it Currently a Bad Idea?

I would recommend against it.  I do not have any experience with
multitargeted toolchains, but I do have experience with multiple
toolchains for the same architecture but different file formats.  (eg
the ARM with COFF, PE and ELF file formats).  I know that this can be
done, which is why I would recommend it.

Is there a special reason why you want one toolchain to be able to
generate multiple output file formats ?

: Welcome to the throne, Nick, and good luck keeping large and
: small contributors in line. ;-)

Thanks!

: Speaking of Very Small contributions, there is (was) a file
: config/te-multi.h mentioned in gas/Makefile.am but which is
: deleted from CVS.  It says it's replaced/identical to
: te-generic.h.
:
: Ok to commit?
:
: Wed May 17 16:58:50 2000  Hans-Peter Nilsson  <hp@axis.com>
:
: 	* Makefile.am (TARG_ENV_HFILES): Delete te-multi.h
: 	* Makefile.in: Regenerated.

Yup this is fine - please check it in.