Bug 10003 - BFD error since 2.18.1
Summary: BFD error since 2.18.1
Status: NEW
Alias: None
Product: binutils
Classification: Unclassified
Component: binutils (show other bugs)
Version: unspecified
: P2 normal
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: unassigned
URL:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2009-03-25 11:58 UTC by Barry Kauler
Modified: 2009-05-14 15:58 UTC (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:
Host:
Target:
Build:
Last reconfirmed:


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Barry Kauler 2009-03-25 11:58:43 UTC
I was using Intrepid Ubuntu, got this error:

BFD: BFD (GNU Binutils for Ubuntu) 2.18.93.20081009 internal error, aborting at
../../bfd/elf.c line 4655 in assign_file_positions_for_non_load_sections

I did a search with google, found this error reported many times, but strangely
enough not at all in this bugzilla.

It is reported on Ubuntu bugzilla but they have taken no action. On the
otherhand, Debian Lenny has rolled back to binutils 2.18.1 (cvs20080103), and I
saw a comment that this was done to fix these BFD errors.

I installed the binutils from Debian Lenny in Ubuntu Intrepid, and in the same
situation it now works, problem fixed.

Intrepid is using 2.18.93 (cvs20081009), but the bug is reported for other
versions. It is interesting that Debian has rolled right back that far.
Comment 1 Alan Modra 2009-03-25 13:16:49 UTC
See http://sourceware.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=6494
Please close this bug as a duplicate if so.
Comment 2 dank 2009-05-14 15:58:02 UTC
I'm getting this, too.

I built binutils-2.19.1 from source with --enable-gold, installed to
/usr/local/gold, and changed /usr/bin/ld to a symlink to /usr/local/gold/bin/ld,
then built wine.  It crashed on the command
   strip amstream_test.exe
I'll attach that file.
Switching /usr/bin/strip to point to /usr/local/gold/bin/strip got further,
but blew up on the command
   strip cabinet_test.exe
with the error
   BFD: BFD (GNU Binutils) 2.19.1 internal error, aborting at elf.c line 4650 in
assign_file_positions_for_non_load_sections
I'll attach that file, too.

Reverting back to the system ld, deleting all the .exe.so's and .exe's from
the wine tree, and building worked.

So this looks like a gold-related problem.