Re: Inserting softHyphens in FO

> Gustaf Liljegren wrote:
> > Try putting ­ where you want soft hyphens.
> Using soft hyphens is not recommended:

I think it should be made clear in postings such as this
that it is not recommended to use with FOP because FOP does not
support them.

In general, XSL FO relies on proper handling of Unicode character
classes, and soft hyphen is the right way to specify custom hyphenation.

> 1. The spec doesn't even mention them, how it is handled
>     is implementation defined.

The spec, if you mean XSL FO Recomendation, should not mention them.
The spec relies on Unicode and XML; how unicode characters and XML
syntax is treated is described in documents about Unicode and XML.

> 2. FOP does not implement the expected behaviour
>     (you get always some character, whether at the end of a
>     line or not).
> Use zero width spaces with FOP 0.20.3 or 0.20.5cvs (0.20.4
> has a bug in this area).

Zero width spaces are obviously not a solution. You don't get hyphenation.

That is, FOP is not capable of handling soft hyphens. Fortunately,
XSL FO is more than FOP.

David