Re: how to reassign a variable's value?

Hi James,

> How do I reassign the value to a variable?  I need to do the following
>
> [xsl:variable name=foo select="1"]
> ..... do something ....
> [xsl:variable name=foo select="2"]
>
> note: I am using [ because excite mail hates lt and gt.
>
> when I try this the xslt processor complains the variable has
> already been defined.

You can't change the value of a variable in XSLT -- XSLT is a
declarative language rather than a procedural one. Usually you can use
the position() function instead, or use XPaths to navigate around the
tree to work out what the value of the variable should be for a
particular node.

If you tell us what you want to do (e.g. number the items in a list)
rather than how you want to go about it, then we should be able to
help you.

Cheers,

Jeni

---