Creating nodes for the source versus the results tree.

I have a problem which might be simplier to solve if I could create
input/new/temporary XML components which would be used during XSL
transformation, but which would not become part of the output/results.
I'm new to XML/XSL, so my vocabulary is probably not quite correct.  I
believe what I'm attempting to do is create new nodes to add to the
source/input tree to be used in the generation of the output/results
tree (as opposed to creating nodes which are added to the output/results
tree).

I know this is something I could do in a two pass process:  during pass1
process of the original/source XML to create the intermediate/temporary
XML elements, during pass2 process both the original XML and generated
XML elements to create the final output.   I'd rather do this in a
single pass; is this possible?

Two other notes/constraints: (1) I'm using the XalanC++ processor, and
(2) I'm using the Xalan 'Xalan' and/or 'testXSLT' executables directly.
I wish to constrain my solution(s) to what I can accomplish with the XSL
stylesheets and processor - no coding.  I have a minimal amount of
post-processing to split the generated output stream into multiple
files.  (Hopefully, this exception can be eliminated when XSL 2.0 is
defined and XSL 2.0 processors are available.)

Thanks,
Ed Knoll

--
Edward L. Knoll   Phone (work)     : (719)484-2717
                  e-mail (work)    : f49660c@cosd.fedex.com