RE: encoding issues

>This seems very strange.

True.

>Firstly I've never had IE default to such an
>encoding...

When I view the output in IE, I see the modified A (whats it really
called?).  When I right-click and look at the encoding, I see
'auto-select' is checked and that is has chosen 'Western European
(Windows)' which is the first on the list, with all the rest greyed out.

>and secondly even if that encoding (or any other) is used
>  is still ddefined and still means a non breaking space: that's
>the whole point of character references, they are an encoding neutral
>representatation of the character.

Yup.  If I change the output encoding to utf-16 IE correctly
auto-selects unicode (using msxml4) but not with saxon.

oh well, its not the biggest deal.

btw, if I can pick your brains sort-of off topic, in which situation
would you choose to use utf-8 over utf-16?

many thanks
andrew