foreach node question

Hello,
I have an xml document that contains a lot of nodes that are pathed to ad/ad_content. Some previous xsl code goes through each of the nodes with the following code:

<xsl:for-each select="ad/ad_content">

I do not believe that is needed. If I use the following syntax: <xsl:apply-templates select="ad/ad_content" />
doesn't that do the same thing? Iterate through each ad/ad_content?

Sorry if this may seem silly, but I am just getting rolling, and when picking up old code, it creates a tricky environment.

sincerely
Scott