Re: xml-stylesheet p.i. and other options (was Re: text/xsl...)

my 2 cents/euros/pence

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew Welch" <awelch@piper-group.com>

> ...so, to bring this back to where we all started-
>
> -it would be a-good-thing to be able to list multiple stylesheet pi's in
> your xml, that your browser would detect and list in a menu (say under
> View), that would go off and fetch the relevant stylesheet and perform
> the transformation on the client.
>
> Distributed processing, source xml available on the client, clicking the
> 'back' button remembers where you were on the page.....

yes, but this type of tactical thinking is short sighted, what is required
is an xml vocabulary with related Processor that handles the characteristics
and logic of transformations; we already have JAXP/TRAX and to a certain
slightly related degree XML pipeline; I would rather see a seperate set of
instructions that orchestrates the transformations, yes lightweight enough
to exist in a dumb client environment.

and possibly XSLT 2.0 addresses some of these issues

what about something super simple eg.

<transform xmlns="urn:jaxp">
    <option property="INDENT">yes</option>
    <option property="METHOD">xhtml</option>
    <option property="VERSION">1.0</option>
    <param name="test">1</param>
    <option property="INDENT">yes</option>
    <option property="METHOD">xhtml</option>
    <option property="VERSION">1.0</option>
    <param name="test">1</param>
</transform>

once again this could be manipulated/generated by xslt, supplying various
params and output options, in addition it could be used to give a JAXP
processor hints. though in general one could use a master xslt to be the
processor for this.

just a thought, I use something like this all the time, and gives the
stylesheet developer ( someone with possibly less programming knowledge )
the ability to specify this.

cheers, jim fuller
.