RE: •

Because that's how numerical entities work. They are predefined.

> (Redefining the entity using disable-output-escaping in the XSL
> stylesheet DOES control the output. I got this technique out of Bob

No, you haven't redefined it. You just used a non-portable technique to
produce the string "•" in the output.

> Ducharme's "XSLT Quickly." Only I am unable for some reason to
> redefine a NUMERIC entity in the XSL transform which was the point of
> my question.
>
> And the setup works for a dynamic browser transform just fine; but it
> also needs to work for html which is going to be posted after the
> transform.)

Again: if the standard output doesn't work with your setup, there's a
problem *there*.

Maybe you can post your stylesheet and describe how it's invoked, and how
the result is sent to the browser.