Re: Embedding javascript code into the XSL

At 09:38 AM 4/30/2002, you wrote:
>yes it is possible to embed javascript
>simplest example using alert is as follows
>
><xsl:text disable-output-escaping="yes">
><![CDATA[
><script>
>alert("hello")
></script>
>]]>
></xsl:text>

   This is not embedding JavaScript, just outputting text that will be
interpreted as JavaScript by a browser after the XSL transformation.  If
you want to be able to use JavaScript DURING the transformation, you'll
need to create an extension function.  See the many examples at
www.exslt.org.  You'll also need (I think) to use the MSXSL XSLT
engine.  As a heads-up, I've noticed that these JavaScript functions cannot
have side-effects (no global variables and no alerts, confirms, or prompts
to name a few).  Any functions that you write in this manner should depend
wholly on the given input, do its thing, and return a result.  A function
that does not return anything is pretty much pointless in this regard.

Greg Faron
Integre Technical Publishing Co.