match something located in included file

Is it possible to match something that resides in a file that is
included by the source XML document?

I want to create an output XML file that combines the contents of
multiple XML files.  It would be cool if I could create a source XML
file that includes all the XML files I'm interested in combining and
then ran my XSLT on that master XML file to produce output based on the
master XML file and everything it included.

Currently it appears that I can use <xsl:import/> and <xsl:include/> to
grab other XSLT files that can then help generate the output.  But using
XSLT to generate a single output file using multiple input files doesn't
seem to be an option.  From what I can see, XSLT is not the tool for
this type of job - but I'm hoping someone can tell me otherwise...

Please let me know if I'm overlooking something here!

Thanks

Dave