RE: inline call to external process

> Is it possible to invoke an external process from within xml,
> like a script (shell, perl, whatever) that returns xml markup?
> This returned code is then parsed by the xslt processor inplace
> just like the static code.

Eric,

I suspect you just want to look at XSL extensions.  What you have available
depends on what processor you're using, but check out the Saxon and Xalan-J
documentation on extensions. In particular, if calling Java is acceptable?
Note that you have to explicitly convert the returned results to a nodeset
using the nodeset() extension... (Note that there are language extensions
and then there user extensions.)