Re: XPOINTER to HTML by XSL

Hi Nilesh,

> I have created a small "test_pointer.xml" file and used xpointer in
> there, pointing at "attachment.xml", as below.

As far as I know, Xalan doesn't yet support XPointer when using the
document() function. In fact, I don't know of any XSLT processor that
does support XPointer (libxslt and 4XSLT might do, since libxml has an
XPointer implementation and 4Suite has 4XPointer, but I couldn't get
them to work). I did also find:

  - http://www.cs.unibo.it/projects/xslt%2B%2B/

which might be interesting to you.

If you're just dealing with XPointers that look like XPaths, you could
try splitting value of the href attribute and using Xalan's evaluate()
extension function on the pointer. Something like:

  <xsl:for-each select="document(substring-before(@href, '#'))">
    <xsl:variable name="path"
      select="substring-before(substring-after(@href, '#xpointer('),
                               ')')" />
    <xsl:value-of select="xalan:evaluate($path)" />
  </xsl:for-each>

Hopefully once XPointer reaches Recommendation, more processors will
start to support it.

Cheers,

Jeni

---