National Language Collating Sequences and Index Generation

I have to generate back-of-the-book indexes for many national languages,
including Arabic, Hebrew, Thai, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese,
Korean, and Japanese. I've successfully adapted the Docbook index
generation code to produce the basic index, but now I'm faced with the
challenge of both doing correct sorting for these languages and
generating the appropriate index groups.

For the index groups I'm assuming I'll have to have per-language code
that establishes the relevant group characters and their ordering.

I looked in the FAQ but didn't find much about this issue. Can anyone
provide any pointers to helpful information, either in books or in the
archives of this forum?

Thanks,

Eliot
--