RE: how to work with xml fragment

Simplest is to wrap it into a well-formed document:

<!DOCTYPE wrapper [
<!ENTITY frag SYSTEM "fragment.xml">
]>
<wrapper>&frag;</wrapper>

and then supply this wrapper document as input to the XSLT transformation.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@ntlworld.com
work: Michael.Kay@softwareag.com