RE: namespace issue

David C wrote:
> > Having specified the ns in the top level element,
> > must I really add the xmlns attribute to all children?
>
> don't think in terms of xmlns attributes, just think in terms of the
> expanded name.
>
> If you want to generate an element with expanded name {myns}el in the
> output then you need to specify an element of that name in the
> stylesheet.
>
> You can go
> <el xmlns="myns">
> every time, or you can stick
> xmlns="myns" in the xsl:stylesheet element and then just use
> <el>
> this is equivalent as far as the namespace rec (and xslt) is
> concerned,
> so just do whichever you prefer.

The latter is a)less work, b) More elegant (my dfn)
Thanks David.

> > I guess this still applies to the 'empty' ns? or is that special?
>
> if you mean the empty prefix there is more or less nothing
> special about
> that, the binding of the empty prefix to namespaces works in
> exactly the
> same way as non empty prefixes, the only difference is thatif
> the prefix
> is empty then the : is omitted.
(my words) They are the same, OK.

> If by empty ns you meant empty namespace name rather than empty prefix
> then that is special in that it can only be assigned to the default
> namespace (ie the empty prefix) you can't assign a non empty prefix to
> the non-namespace.

I've now read that eight times and I'm off to let me head heal.

I think it means
  <el xmlns="">  == the default namespace, is 'special'

I think the double negative means I can't do <pre:el xmlns="">

Thanks David.
  As usual, its my coding again.

Thanks for the reply Francis

Regards DaveP

-

confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the
intended recipient you are hereby notified that you must not use,
disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this email's content. If
immediately and then delete the email and any attachments from your
system.

RNIB has made strenuous efforts to ensure that emails and any
attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses. However, it
cannot accept any responsibility for any viruses which are
transmitted. We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.

represent those of RNIB.

RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227

Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk