generating broken html?

Hi,

I'm trying to reformat a substantial dreamweaver-generated HTML file by
using tidy to clean it up and convert it to XML, and then the following
trivial transform:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
	<xsl:output method="html" indent="yes"/>
	<xsl:template match="/">
		<xsl:copy-of select="." />
	</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

to turn it back into nicely indented HTML.

When I do this transform using msxsl.exe with any version of msxml (3.0
or 4.0) the HTML is beautifully indented but doesn't work with IE5.5.
The problems I've identified so far are to do with closing empty
elements that are perhaps not normally empty - eg:

<script type="text/javascript" language="Javascript"
src="shared/js/userconfig1.js"/>

and

- both of these need to be closed as

	></script>

and

to work.

Once I've fixed these the browser no longer shows as blank, but I still
can't see any text.

Saxon gives me working HTML but the indentation is not as pretty and is
so different (eg line breaks) that it is very hard to diff the two.

Has anyone had similar problems, and if so did they come up with an
msxsl solution or did they find another xslt processor which could do
similar indenting?

Francis.