Re: Ancestors

Hi Carmelo,

> If I am the current context node and I wanted to know if any of my
> ancestors had the string "region" in its name, how will go about
> that. I tried a number of combination with no success.
>
>     I think is something along the lines:
>
>       <xsl:if test = "contains(name(ancestor::*),'region')"/>, but it does
> not seems to work.

When you use the name() function on a node set, it tells you the name
of the *first* node in that node set (in document order). So:

  name(ancestor::*)

will always give you the name of the document element in your XML
document.

Instead, you need to go through all the ancestor elements one by one
and filter in those whose name contains the string 'region' using a
predicate:

  ancestor::*[contains(name(), 'region')]

This will return a node set containing all the ancestors whose name
contains the string 'region'. If there are nodes in that node set,
then it evaluates as true, if not, it evaluates as false.

I hope that helps,

Jeni

---
Jeni Tennison