Changing row colors using variables

<xsl:attribute name="bgcolor">
	<xsl:if test="@t_orno != preceding-sibling::row[1]/@t_orno">
		<xsl:choose>
			<xsl:when test="$currentRowColor='#EFFFFF'">
				$currentRowColor=#FFFFFF
			</xsl:when>
			<xsl:otherwise>
				$currentRowColor=#EFFFFF
			</xsl:otherwise>
		</xsl:choose>
	</xsl:if>
<xsl:value-of select="$currentRowColor"/>
</xsl:attribute>

I have a variable name currentRowColor...if the value of t_orno is not the
same as t_orno in the preceding row, I want to switch row colors in my
grid...that way all rows of the same "t_orno" field will be colored
together. This code acts funny though, depending on where I put single
quotes...if I don't put the single quotes around #EFFFFF in the test
statement, it does not work...adding quotes around the variable assignment
like so: $currentRowColor='#EFFFFF' changes the color. I don't think I am
assigning the variables correctly, because the test condition does not
always work correctly.

--Steve Kuntz