RE: output escaping (i just dont get it)

> > Anyway, to get the result that i wanted, i changed the rule
> as follows:
> > <h2><xsl:value-of select="$heading"
> > disable-output-escaping="yes"/></h2>
>
> using d-o-e is almost always the wrong thing to do.
> here you surely just want <xsl:value-of select="$heading"/>
> and pass in
> the value of the heading as a string.

Ahh but what i WANT is to require that these heading strings are always
created as valid xml data.

They originate as attributes to custom jsp tags (ie <jsp:content
heading="This &amp; That" src="foo.xml" />) which is "nearly" a valid XML
format.

The longer term goal being to create a 'page builder' application that
stores input data in an xml structure, passed to an XSLT that outputs the
actual JSP file.

So you can see why i would want to require these attributes to contain
proper entities.  Now, is my d-o-e solution a valid way to enforce this
rule, or not?