Re: Empty String

Greg,

<xsl:template match="String">
   <!-- matches elements named 'String' -->
   <xsl:apply-templates/>
   <!-- processes the children of the element -
        - text, other elements, whatever -->
   <xsl:if test="not(string(.))">
     <!-- passes the test if the string content is empty -->
     <xsl:value-of select="'&#xA;'"/>
     <!-- adds a linefeed character -->
   </xsl:if>
</xsl:template>

Other tests are possible, but this one is a good one. Note that this will
test "true" if your String element contains other elements, but no text.

If you want to catch whitespace-only strings as well as zero-length
strings, change the test to "not(normalize-space(.))". But note that such
whitespace is also passed along by the apply-templates preceding the test.

I hope I construed correctly what you meant by "a String element that is
empty".

This is actually a FAQ, but a hard one to document since the answer is
always "it depends".

Hasta la vista,
Wendell