Re: Editing XML with HTML forms

[Paul Brown]

> > [Robert Koberg]
> > This is the major problem... Server-side Java is nice
> > from uml point of view but it does not play out in
> > real-life...
>
> Wow.  We should go have a rant/flame war in some more appropriate
> newsgroup...  My perspective is exactly the opposite: server-side Java,
> especially where XML is involved, is the _only_ realistic option for
> production applications.
>
> This thread has actually seen a nice mix of different suggested solutions
> (Perl, libxml, msxml, JavaScript gymnastics etc.), and everything has its
> own unique and compellilng (based on circumstances) advantages.  One of
our
> design requirements was ZERO client-side footprint -- no Javascript, no
> Java, no DHTML, just a version of HTML that supports forms.

Just so.  My own work has normally taken the attitude: use javascript on the
client, nothing else is to be used on the client (like msxml3, since it
usually isn't installed in replace mode).   So I pass XML  (when it is
needed, which is sometimes) to the server as the contents of hidden form
fields.

Depends on what you want to accomplish and what users you expect to have.

Cheers,

Tom P