xtchunk.xsl - Navigation Images

I have just started to create all my documents in docbook format and
convert them to html, pdf, fop using the saxon parser. From what I can
tell xtchunk.xsl, docbook.xsl, chunk-common.xsl and chunker.xsl handle
the formatting of the multiple html file ouput.

What I would like to do is output images instead of text for the
navigation in the header and footer of the page.  I am very new to xml
and still learning the syntax so I'm completely lost sa to where to
modify the files to do this.

Thanks In Advance,

Brendan Boyle