Re: Is there a XSL XSD?

Hi George,

To be fair to the Working Group, one of the things you're missing is that a
DTD doesn't "unambiguously define" very much at all ... it's limited to
expressing not much more than the allowed structural relations among a
finite set of element types. This is crucial, but it's not everything: the
permissible syntax of attribute values, for example -- a critical part of
XSL -- goes almost entirely beyond the expressive power of DTD syntax. A
syntactically correct XSLT transform could present any of an unbounded set
of element and attribute types (since it can have literal result elements)
-- not to mention an attribute syntax of its own (XPath expressions and
patterns, etc.).

Limit it to "pure" XSL (only xslt and fo namespaces) and things are
somewhat better, though not much. Schema validation (XSD) is better able
than DTD syntax to account for a number of the syntactic constraints -- but
it's just been finished, whereas development of XSL has been going on since
1998 (or late 1997 if you want to go back to the first W3C Note).

A non-normative DTD fragment describing an XSLT transform appears as
Appendix C of the XSLT spec. Perhaps the final version of XSL will contain
something like the DTD that RenderX have cooked up on the FO side (oh dear,
it looks like I'm slipping into a British collective plural): I guess it
never hurts to ask.

Does that help?

Regards,
Wendell