From: "Michael Kay" <mhkay@iclway.co.uk>
To: <xsl-list@lists.mulberrytech.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2001 9:27 AM
Subject: RE: [xsl] SAXON and UTF-8

> Windows Notepad saves UTF8 files with Byte Order Mark, and
> AFAIK, the XML
> parser in Saxon (AElfred) doesn't support this (at least it
> didn't last time I checked).

The question is, can an XML document (or entity) in UTF-8 encoding start
with a BOM? The fact that Unicode allows it, and the fact that Notepad can
create it, doesn't make it legal XML.

My reading of the XML spec is that it expects to find BOM only in UTF-16
files. I can't see any total prohibition of a BOM in a UTF-8 file, but the
spec certainly seems to assume that they won't occur. If anyone thinks
otherwise, I'd like to see evidence from the XML specification, which is the
only definitive source.

This is of course totally off-topic for XSLT.

Mike Kay