Short circuit the id function

Hi,
     Is it possible to short circuit the id function such that it stops
looking after it finds the first match?  I know that the ids in my xml file
are distinct, so browsing to search for others is not useful to me.  Is
this possible, or is this operation efficient enough that it doesn't
matter?

Thanks in advance,
     Matt Youngblut