RE: Tokenising the string using xpath funcitons.

Since you are already using extension functions, I would use an extension
function to parse the string and return it as an XML document. (In the way
that saxon:tokenize() does).

The alternative is a recursive named template: grab the first item in the
string using substring-before(), then call yourself to process the rest of
the string, extracted using subsring-after().

Mike Kay