Java extension functions

I have attempted to call, just for the heck of it, the function in Michael
Kay's book XSLT Programmer's Reference 2nd Edition on as described on page
583 using XalanJ.  It returns the message : For extension function, could
not find method java.lang.Double.max([Expression
Context,] #NUMBER).
The function on page 133 returns the message: XSLT Error
(javax.xml.transform.TransformerException): Instance method call to method
new requires an Object instance as first argument

Is this a classpath problem or something else?  I know Xalan supposedly
supports Java.  Or is it that it doesn't implement the <xsl:script> element
and uses the <xalan:script> element instead?

thanks in advance,
  Matthew L. Avizinis
Gleim Publications, Inc.
   4201 NW 95th Blvd.