sorting results by date

Is it possible to sort by an element with the following format:

22-05-2001

This is of course a date and is one of three sets of data that I am
trying to write to the browser. I want to sort this data by the date in
ascending order. I tried using the string() function and putting the
result into a variable, then trying to sort via the variable, but I'm
having no luck. The key is to separate the numbers and the hyphens,
thereby sorting on the numbers alone.

Regards
John