Adding structure to a docment based on attributes

Adding sections/subjections and levels depending on formatting type
information

I have an XML document which contains formatting type information like this
(actually this is a bit simplified)

I would like to add some logical structure to the document, to have
something like this
<MAIN><HEADING>Top Level Heading</HEADING><TEXT>Some text at this
level</TEXT>
<SUBSECTION><HEADING>Sub Heading 1<TEXT>Some text here</TEXT></SUBSECTION>
<SUBSECTION><HEADING>Sub Heading 2<TEXT>Some text here</TEXT></SUBSECTION>
<HEADING>Top Level Heading</HEADING><TEXT>Some more text here</TEXT>
</MAIN>

Can I do this with XSLT, some pointers would be great.

I know for example I can match the different styles with a template

match="p[@style='Heading1']"

but the problem is closing the logical structure at the right place.

Hope you can help,
Regards,
Nicholas Waltham