what I meant by preserving whitespace

According to Dimitre Novatchev on Sat, Sep 22, 2001 at 10:57:51PM -0700:
| > I have looked at the archives and failed to implement the
| > xml:space="preserve"
| > to preserve white space in selected nodes - failing that preserving
| > whitespace globally.
| >
| > I have tried most things I could think of, so would appreciate a
| > simple example of how to achieve this.
|
| The following stylesheet (applyed on any xml source) will try to pad the string
| "abc" with 3 spaces to the right.
|
| Two templates -- "pad" and "pad2" are called, the only difference being in how the
| "space buffer" variable is defined in them:
|
| In the "pad" template we have:
|
|     <xsl:variable name="spaces">
| 	    <xsl:text xml:space="preserve">          </xsl:text>
|     </xsl:variable>
|
| In the "pad2" template we have:
|
|     <xsl:variable name="spaces">
| 	    <xsl:text>          </xsl:text>
|     </xsl:variable>

<snip>

Thank you, but I do not see why I need to define a $spaces variable for this.

<some_tag>

    Imagine this is a poem
  and we want lines idented
  in this strange fasion

    This is a nonsensical indentation
  but serves to make the point
  about what I mean by preserving whitespace

</some_tag>

In the output I do not wnt to see this:

<cut_and_paste>

Imagine this is a poem and we want lines idented in this strange fasion This is a
nonsensical indentation but serves to make the point about what I mean by
preserving whitespace

</cut_and_paste>

A simple solution for this?

--