Re: trouble checking "cousins"of current node

Chris:

Ah--

At 06:03 PM 9/21/01, you wrote:
>Then I can find the interrupting <civil-event title="d"> by the xpath
>statement "following::*[name()
>=$element][1]/preceding-sibling::civil-event".  But if the <civil-event
>title="d"> takes up the whole class (or, in other words is the only child
>of <document>) as it does in the first XML sample, then this xpath
>statement doesn't work.

Right -- because in that case, it's not a preceding sibling of the <war>
element you've found in the first step of the path.

Changing the XPath to be a bit more general, as in

following::*[name()=$element][1]/preceding::civil-event[1]

will find it, and is in keeping with the kind of traversals you're already
doing.

>   It seems I can find everything but this situation.
>This is what I need help with.

That XPath should match either case.

But this is pretty funky stuff -- I'm not sure I like either the processing
methodology or the design of the tag set very much -- but if it's working
so far, then go for it. You can refactor it all later, once it's stabilized
a bit.

Cheers,
Wendell