XML schema general convert with XSLT (namespaces..)

Hi,

Suppose I want to write a general convertor for XML schema,
example:
<xs:element name="Access-code" type="xs:string"/>

sample code:
<xsl:choose>
	<xsl:when test="@type='xsd:string'">
		<xsl:text>Text</xsl:text>
	</xsl:when>
	<xsl:otherwise>
		<xsl:text>UNKNOWN TYPE </xsl:text>
		<xsl:value-of select="@type"/>
	</xsl:otherwise>
</xsl:choose>

(suppose : The xsd: is equal to the xs namespace)

So in the above the output is:
<P>UNKNOWN TYPE xs:string</P>

When I change the namespace prefix into xs:
<P>Text</P>

I have to know somehow in which namespace it is written, somehow. Is there
anyway of telling which namespace is used?
Sure I can give the used namespace as a paramter etc., but that really
doesn't feel right.

Any suggestions?