newbie qtn: best way to display a specific range of records (say, 5-10, or whatever)

Hello all. I have just subscribed to the list, I am a newbie to XSL. My
question is as follows:

Ideally what I want to do is something like this:

<xsl:for-each select="//data/job" startwith="//params/startrecord"
numrecords="//params/numrecords">
  A 'job' in turn contains a few levels of data, display it here in various
ways, no problem.
</xsl:for-each>

So you see what I want: just a specific range of records, based on integer
parameters supplied in the xml document itself. Preferably I'd like to avoid
the method of iterating over all records, and simply not displaying those
outside the range.

I'm sure this is something brutally obvious to the skilled XSL user, but I
couldn't seem to find a clear way to do in the documentation I looked at.

Thanks!

Clark