RE: in for-each apply-templates doesnot work

> Goal is to select the double datarecords.
> I identify them if attribute1 and attribute2 are equal

This is essentially a grouping problem, where you are only interested in
groups of size 2 or more. As the grouping key is a compound key (it's not
the string-value of a node), take a look at Muenchian grouping, either in
XSLT Programmer's Reference, or at
http://www.jenitennison.com/xslt/grouping.

> In XSL I tried to process with "for-each",
> getting the actual position1,
> searching the next matching row,
> getting that position2
>
>       <xsl:variable name="pos1">
>          <xsl:value-of select="position()"/>
>      </xsl:variable>
>
>       <xsl:variable name="pos2">
>          <xsl:apply-templates
> select="following-sibling::row[@attribute1=$value1]"/>
>          <xsl:value-of select="position()"/>
>      </xsl:variable>

The two calls on position() above will return the same result, since they
appear in the same template. You haven't shown us what the template rule for
match="row" actually does, but it doesn't make much difference, the above
code is not going to do anything useful.

A more productive approach would be something like

<xsl:variable name="pos2"
select="count(following-sibling::row[...]/preceding-sibling::*)"/>

but I'm not sure what you want to do with the position once you've got it.

> - position results are 2,4,6.. instead of 1,2,3..

That's because you are processing the whitespace text nodes between the
elements, as well as the elements themselves. Get rid of them using
<xsl:strip-space>.

> - the double row found with apply-templates
> is processed too.

You've lost me here. Fix the other problems first.

Mike Kay