Re: Whitespace question

At 06:07 18-09-2001, Ragulf Pickaxe wrote:
>The problem, though, is that I only want ' ' preserved, not linefeed and
>all that kind of things - these are tagged in the xml document:
>
><Doc>
><P>This is the document with a line feed<Newline/>so this will be on a
>new line, but not<NBSP/>
>this, which will be on the same line<Bold> Bold text</Bold> <Italic>Italic
>text, which will be place besides "Bold text" because of the 'whitespace
>problem'</Italic></P>
></Doc>
>
>I search for NBSP, Newline, Bold, Italic and such and use the appropriate
>action to get the right output.

If you're converting to HTML, then it should be safe to globally preserve
spaces.  That example would become

new line, but not&nbsp;
will be place besides "Bold text" because of the 'whitespace problem'</i></p>

which should be fine.  The only possible problem is that you'll have a
double-wide space between "not" and "this", but the normal space there is
part of a larger text node and wouldn't have been stripped anyway.

In general, if you're converting to HTML, preserving space is OK because
the browser will do the right thing.  There are exceptions, of course, but
this doesn't seem to be one of them.

-Chris
--
Christopher R. Maden, Principal Consultant, HMM Consulting Int'l, Inc.