Re: Whitespace question

At 04:56 18-09-2001, Ragulf Pickaxe wrote:
>Christopher R. Madsen wrote:
>(What you need to do is insert the space unless there's a text node
>already there, which means that there was something other than just space.)
>
>How do you check wether there is a textnode allready? I am not very good
>at figuring things out at the moment, sorry.

Something like preceding-sibling::node()[1]self::text(), which will be
empty if the preceding node doesn't exist or is something other than a text
node.

>I am in the situation where I have lots of different kinds of parrent
>nodes before the <code1> node, so I can't use the
><xsl:perseve-space="code"/> unless I wish to write this line sixty times
>with different elements.

You could also do <xsl:preserve-space elements="*"/>.

>I need the program to add a space if there is a new node right after, only
>if there is a space between them:
>(I):   <One>bla</One> <Two>bla</Two> should keep the space, but
>(II):  <One>bla</One><Two>bla</Two> should not, and

In order to distinguish these two cases, you *must* preserve spaces.  Once
the space is stripped, they are identical, and no amount of XSLT wrangling
will help.

Your options are (1) xml:space="preserve" in the original XML, (2)
xsl:preserve-space in the XSLT, or (3) some switch to MSXML itself before
beginning the transformation.

HTH,
Chris
--
Christopher R. Maden, Principal Consultant, HMM Consulting Int'l, Inc.