From: owner-xsl-list@lists.mulberrytech.com
[mailto:owner-xsl-list@lists.mulberrytech.com]On Behalf Of Christopher
R. Maden
Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2001 10:28 AM
To: xsl-list@lists.mulberrytech.com
Subject: Re: [xsl] questions?

At 21:29 17-09-2001, Mihir D. Gore wrote:
>If i have a operation like "insert node n as the i th  child of node p" ,
>what will be the the xsl?

To repeat a FGA[*], XSLT can't change the source.  It reads the source and
writes output.

>for example
><book>
>         <author>P.G.Wodehouse</author>
>         <name>Good Morning Jeeves</name>
>         <price>20</price>
></book>
>
>if i  add the node <review></review> as the 3rd child of book then the xsl
>will be
>
><book>
>         <author>P.G.Wodehouse</author>
>         <name>Good Morning Jeeves</name>
>         <review>Some comments here</review>
>         <price>20</price>
></book>

What you want to do is copy the book, with the review added.  You could do
this by starting with the identity transform (see the XSLT Recommendation)
and adding

<xsl:template match="book">
   <xsl:copy select=".">
     <xsl:apply-templates select="*[position() &lt; 3]"/>
     <review>Some comments here</review>
     <xsl:apply-templates select="*[position() >= 3]"/>
   </xsl:copy>
</xsl:template>

-Chris

[*] Frequently given answer.
--
Christopher R. Maden, Principal Consultant, HMM Consulting Int'l, Inc.